It usually means I need to slow down and reflect on a few key things and ask myself questions like:
Once I've thought on these, then I can move to asking some forward-thinking questions, such as:
So what have I been up to with my time? Mostly worrying about the future. Getting lots of pre-baby tasks completed. Doctors appointments. Spending time with my son and husband. None of which are inherently bad, obviously (except maybe that first one).
With all the unknowns of welcoming another baby into our family, I have been feeling insecure. In the sense of vain things, like only have 6 items of clothing I feel comfortable in, or often not having my hair or make-up done. And also in the deeper sense of not feeling grounded and secured to my sense of self. Which is why I may not have been showing up in the same way in recent months.
So what's next? It's going to be a wild and transitional time over the next few months [and years], I'm sure. And I'm thankful for all of you who have continued to work with me, to support my small-business, to trust me with your minds and bodies through it all. I always want to strive to be consistent for you as much as possible. Which is why I have decided to take some time off from in-person training to welcome our baby girl, and to get my bearings, so that I can continue to bring my best when the time comes to return.
It pains me to say this, but there will be no in-person training offerings with MAVEN, likely until mid-October or November. I am offering my 12 Week Online Training Program beginning Monday, September 2 so that you can continue to have MAVEN-style workouts during this time! Check out the Program FAQ for more details.
If you want to stay even more in the loop, you can join my mailing list for news on when training will resume later this fall.
I love and appreciate you and can't wait to see what the future holds!
Hey! This is The Gut Lab - we're the new kids in town. We make healing, nourishing Bone Broth using locally sourced, certified organic bones, organic veg and a whole lotta l-o-v-e. We gently simmer our bones for 24 hours to draw out all the goodness we possibly can - to help YOU be as nourished as you possibly can!
“Isn't this what my Grandmother used to make?" you ask. Yes, it is!
This liquid gold has been made since the days of old (we're talking really old), but it wasn't until recently that we started to look at the healing benefits of this ancient elixir.
So, what exactly is it good for and why do we want to drink it? Welcome everyone, to Bone Broth 101.
We love bone broth for many reasons. It's the perfect friend to aid in recovery post surgery, to refuel post workout, to help Mom heal postpartum, and of course to add to your daily routine for preventative health. Today class, we want to share with you our Top 5 benefits.
1. It’s super rich in collagen, which is made available to us when bones are simmered for long periods of time. Collagen is required for optimal health essentially everywhere in our body…from skin and hair to internal organs, ligaments, and joints - from the time we're in our mothers womb until we're old and grey.
2. It helps heal and prevent leaky gut by healing the mucosal lining of our small intestine. This can help immensely with common digestive issues, immune support, as well as auto-immune disorders, such as Celiac's disease, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and Crohn's.
3. It contains the amino acids needed to create and even rebuild worn out cartilage, which we know is essential for healthy, happy, ready-for-adventure joints.
4. It is also full of glutamine and other amino acids which helps to support and detoxify our liver. Important for humans and animals alike, our liver works hard for us processing and filtering the toxins we are bombarded with on a daily basis - a little broth is a great way to say "thank you liver!".
5. Lastly, for all of you athletes out there - whether you're a novice or a seasoned veteran, it is the perfect way to refuel your body post workout. It helps stimulate muscle building and repair and provides your body with many vitamins and minerals (hello, calcium and magnesium). It's your basic magic potion.
Our friends at MAVEN & The Commune are passionate about great health, and we know you are too - so thank you for hearing us out today. We’re super excited to be part of your community, and truly look forward to sharing this beautiful, nourishing goodness with all of you in the time to come.
The Gut Lab
You can find more info on The Gut Lab at the following links:
FB: The Gut Lab
Stockists + Markets: Coming Soon!
We wanted to share with you exactly what makes our 4 Week Foundational Training Program so great and give you some insight into how it can change your fitness game and support you on your path toward better health and fitness. Check it out!
1. Expert programming. Our coaches have been designing fitness programming and training clients for over a decade. We know what elements to include to have you experience results in all facets of fitness. We use simple movements (nothing fancy here!) and program them strategically throughout.
2. Expert coaching. Your coach has a wealth of knowledge and experience and is there to support you, answer any questions about the program, and cheer you on along the way.
3. Accessibility. Our online platform makes it easy to access your workouts and videos of each exercise on your mobile device, tablet, laptop, or home computer. Anytime. Anywhere.
4. Accountability. You have direct access to your coach for support and questions throughout the program. You also receive reminders for your workouts, and alerts when you miss one! When it comes to sticking to any new habit, accountability is key!
5. Time-friendly. Our workouts are designed to take no more than 60 minutes out of your busy day.
6. Nutrition guidance. We include weekly nutrition information and provide tools and strategies to help you build healthy nutrition habits that support your fitness goals. After all, you owe your body some good fuel for all the hard work it's doing!
"An incredible, challenging program with phenomenal support. Coach Syd is a total badass who supports, pushes and drives you to the next level. I have and will continue to yell from the rooftops about how awesome this program is!! I will ABSOLUTELY be continuing in with Maven!"- Ashley, Calgary AB
"Loved it! The program was easy to follow, the videos were very helpful to check out what each exercise was + form. Getting the email daily was key, made sure I stayed on track. The workouts were challenging but they never got monotonous nor did they take too long. The 30-40 minute mark is ideal. I gained muscle, noticeable definition in my arms and legs + definition in my waist. The mix of cardio + strength = dreamy!"
- Leah, San Antonio TX
"At first, I was skeptical about staying accountable to do workouts from home - I usually like to get out of the house to do a workout because then you are really committing to doing it (i.e you've taken the time to travel there, etc.) BUT the workouts were structured in a way that they didn't take too long to do BUT you really felt the burn!!! That was motivating, for the next time, because there was no excuse to not to do the workouts."
- Catherine, Montreal QC
As our next 12 Week Online Training Program approaches, I wanted to provide you with answers to some common questions about the program. If you don't find what you are looking for here, go to our Contact page and send us a note with your question and we will be happy to help!
1. I am out of shape, will this kill me?
No. Will you experience some discomfort, sweat, and be sore from the workouts, yes, but the workouts are designed to be doable. I will offer modifications and scaling so you have options that suit your fitness level. I will ask that you challenge yourself and embrace the discomfort! All exercises should be performed without pain, discomfort is fine, but pain is a no no. Know when to stop if something is hurting you. As far as the mental game goes: Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
2. I'm working out at home, do I need a lot of equipment?
Some of the workouts call for small equipment, like free weights (dumbbells) and kettle bells. If you don't have these items you can do bodyweight variations and modifications for workouts with weights.
3. How do I access the workouts?
We use an online programming platform that sends your workouts right to our inbox. You can access your workouts for the week every Monday.
9. How do I communicate with my coach?
You can send your coach direct messaging in our online programming platform to ask specific questions. If you are a Facebook user, you will be able to communicate with your coach and other participants on the private Facebook group page.
10. Is there nutrition coaching included in this program?
We do provide six basic nutrition lessons and additional information and resources to help guide you throughout the program.
I am beyond excited to officially launch MAVEN to the world! It's been an adventure so far to get this up and running and I can't wait to continue to build our community and positively impact women around the globe.
I would not have been able to get this project off the ground without the help of some very important friends and colleagues. Special thanks go out to the Online Training Pilot group who are entering week 4 of their 4-week training program. Your commitment, participation, feedback, and support have made this journey all the more fun and incredible! Experiencing a group of women coming together and putting in hard work and still having a ton of fun is why I do what I do!
All the beautiful images you see on this site were taken by my dear friend, the infinitely talented and generally wonderful, Kyle Smith of Capture Passion. This beautiful site is brought to you by Nate Chambers, what a pleasure to work with and I highly recommend him!
Of course, to all of those I have had the honour of working with throughout the years, be it coaching goals, leading through workshops, leading in business, or training - all of the time and opportunities you gave me to coach and lead have led me to this place, my sincerest gratitude. To the team and members of The Commune Training Co., your support and dedication to myself and our community is what gets me out of bed in the morning. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU. Friends, thanks for holding a sister up.
Sean, my largest fan and ally, thank you for always being in my corner, I love you to the moon and back. PIC for life!
And we're only just getting started :)
Welcome to #themavenlife!